Sunday, February 8, 2009

Dreams and Visions

I've begun to feel myself being wrapped in eretz yisrael, as I become one with it. In more than just one way I find my family here.

I imagine Kaleb running across the green field, a date in his hand to eat, laughing, singing, and talking in Hebrew with other children around him. I see Joram, talking in very fast, sloppy, and happy Hebrew with his classmates. I can picture Isabelle and I both talking to each other and on the phone with friends in comfortable slang-filled Hebrew, and then switching to English in front of friends, but none the less, smiles stretched to their fullest, and radiating love and a heavenly glow. I see dad, going to and from work in his car here, learning the language as he goes, but a smile on his face in a job he loves and is happy to be in. I see mom, picking up phrases during the day, and basking in the warm Israeli sun, her hair turning blonder each day, and making friends with the others around us. I see all of us walking to a nearby park, a Shabbat lunch in tow, and just enjoying each other's company, all of us talking, being Jewish no matter what, tzittzits hanging freely, wearing skirts, and 3/4 length sleeves or whatever it is we choose.

I see my family here, I see the family I may one day have, and create myself here.

I see in the streets the sheep that once roamed the hills, my ancestors all around me. The battles that took place here, the celebrations, the losses, the victories, the forfeits, in this land with every step I take, I see it all before me. I understand better how and why I pray and am proud to be a Jew, I feel my connection to G-d growing stronger, my areas of questions coming up more often and my hesitation to question them shrinking back.

I feel myself as a person growing, a deeper understanding of who I am coming around, my body grows stronger in pace with my mind.

I've grown so much in just 2 weeks, it's impossible to imagine I could grow any more in the next 3 and a half months. I'm grateful that there is more time ahead than has passed. I love this land too much to give it up just yet...