Friday, June 16, 2006

Letter from camp #2

"...Today we did a group activity, we were asked when we heard the word "Shabbat" what did we think of, what did it remind us of, and what memories did we have?
I didn't say anything because I couldn't, the memories that I have are so strong that at that moment, tears began to form in my eyes and roll down my cheeks. Thankfully, nobody noticed during those moments we had to sit and think.
The smell of challah became so clear it was as if I was right there. I could hear Joram and Kaleb's laughter, the sound of tiny feet running around the house in the excitement of guests' - and Shabbats' - arrival. I could smell vanilla in the air as if Naomi and Allison were sitting right there with me.
I could see everyone sitting around the Shabbat table, telling jokes, deep in conversation, or telling the reason for why they brought the food they were assigned. I saw Dad singing a random song. I heard Noah playing his guitar. I thought about giving Mom a hug and a kiss.
I had the memory of being surrounded by the community of people that love me, and that I love too...."

No comments:

Post a Comment